A Big Ass Salad

big-ass-saladSomething I did yesterday caused my blood sugar to rise this morning. Although it remains under 100 it still jumped from 84 yesterday morning to 99 this morning. I went a little heavier on the resistance exercises and I did not eat a salad. Chicken Parmigiana for dinner, could of it been the mozzarella cheese? Other than that I cannot see what might have caused this up spike. Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint exactly what the cause my be. I know that there are times where I am doing everything pretty much identically each day and all of a sudden my glucose is elevated for what appears no reason at all. Of course there is always a reason and sometimes we just have to dig a little deeper. But in this case I do believe that it is a lack of vegetables in my daily diet, or the lack of drinking enough water. I will keep these two things in mind today and see where it takes me tomorrow.

One of Mark Sisson eat what he calls, “A big ass salad” each day at lunch. This is his big meal for the day. As I continue to read his book, “The Primal Blueprint” I continue to learn. I do see myself incorporating the Big Ass Salad in my own arsenal each day. The benefits must be incredible. I mean, what better way to incorporate a salad into your diet each but by making it one complete meal. I will work on a plan to get this done this weekend and figure the whole thing out.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex- CHEST
Bench Press- 310 lbs – 17
Incline Press- 310 lbs – 14
Decline Press- 310 lbs – 20
Fly’s- 140 – 21
Situps- 23
Leg Lifts- 15

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs
Lunch- Chicken Parm, Salad
Dinner- Steak, Spinach, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegan, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Big Ass Salad

1. KerryTP says:

Go the ‘big ass’ salad….I am an advocate!

“Hugh Jazz” salad. Sorry, I just had to say it. πŸ˜‰

3. Lety C says:

Are cheese and milk included in a paleo diet? Vegetables and water are very important in a healthy diet. What about sleep? Does it alter your blood sugar?

4. I find that my morning fasting can be a little higher when I eat past about 6 p.m. And when I overdo cheese or nuts. I try not to eat past 6 pm so that I can have at least a 12-hour fast each night. Take it easy on the cheese and nuts, and definitely do a daily Hugh Jazz salad, but make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fat with it. To me, a salad is not a salad without eggs, bacon and avocado. πŸ˜‰

5. fellochrist says:

Adding a handful of cilantro to a salad is like magic for your intestines, as far as cleaning them up. I found adding the leaves in whole instead of chopping keeps the intense flavor down as well.

6. jncthedc says:

Although tomatoes are usually fine for diabetics,tomato sauce used with chicken parmigiana can contain hidden sugar as well. Add this to the cheese (not sure if you fried the chicken breast and don’t know the quantity of breadcrumbs either), but the combination could have caused the changes in your readings. I like everyone’s suggestion about the large salad. Good choice, but don’t have it too often. People get bored with salads and have a tendency of going from high salad frequency eating to no salad frequency eating.

7. julie blue says:

I find it just a tad amusing that you consider 84 to 99 a “spike.” I would love to have such amazing control these days. You’re doing fine. πŸ™‚

Thanks for the advice! going to try this!!

9. Tessa says:

I am not a salad eater often. I am not a vegetable eater often either. I don’t like many vegetables. I eat some fruits, not a large selection. And if I do eat a salad it has stuff that doesn’t belong in a diabetics salad. I am still working on what I can’t and can eat and not raise my sugars sky high. The best thing I did though was go back to the original dosing and take 5 mg of Glipizide in the morning and 5 mg at night. They are much more even now. It also helps that I eat breakfast now, but still no lunch. Just dinner at a late afternoon time and maybe a snack at night.

10. RachelleGreene says:

You’re one of the factors that made me eat salad more often! I never was a “salad person,” but seeing that you eat them twice a day was helpful. I also needed to eat less sodium one day– salad it is! But it’s a great way to feel better. Have you noticed a spike in energy levels when you eat them? I certainly have! Oh, and I love the title! πŸ˜‰

11. Guru Singh says:

The salad in the picture looks pretty healthy – all the colours of the rainbow. I personally love salads sprinkled with mixed nuts and olive oil dressing.