Eating on a Schedule for Weight Loss

8a5e79129c6655ea38bc305487621e35I am finding that working each day offers an additional benefit. Being on a schedule each day allows for only certain times of the day where I have access to food. I eat breakfast and dinner at home so it is only lunch time where I know I have a 30 minute window to sit down and eat. This seems to work out well with me because even though I may feel a little hungry at other times during the day I know that these times are not the times to eat. While at home it was much too easy to walk to the fridge or cupboard and grab a snack. My blood sugar is lower and and my weight has also dropped once again.

Why is it so hard to understand this while I am home? I know that this is a hard comparison to make, but if you think about it we restrict our pets to a eating schedule just so many times a day and at certain times. We do this because we know that it is healthy for this critters that we love, but when it comes to our own health all holds are barred. We feel a little craving coming on and we immediately have to fix it. What I found was that when these cravings come on during the work day it is much easier to simply ignore them and they usually go away in 20 minutes or so.

So when it comes to diet, even when we are home we have to learn to create an eating schedule and stick to it. The feeling of hunger between meals is natural and perfectly OK. In fact it is a sign that our bodies are moving in the right direction as far as burning fat. Food restriction is not a bad thing and is actually part of our genetic make up as there where so many times throughout the history of mankind where there just wasn’t enough food and restriction was the only way to survive. It is a small form of what we call fasting.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex- SHOULDERS
Shoulder Press- 250 lbs – 12
Front Raises- 70 lbs – 12
Side Raises – 70 lbs – 12
Shrugs- 310 lbs – 15

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs
Lunch- Meatloaf, Green Beans
Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Eating on a Schedule for Weight Loss

When I’m at work, I always try to eat only what I bring with me. That’s not easy, because my employer is generous and always has the cupboards and fridge stocked with yummy and fattening stuff. They even installed a popcorn machine.

I depend on my will power and the re-enforcement that the numbers on my bathroom scale keep getting smaller little by little. At home, there’s also plenty of yummy stuff in the cupboards and in the fridge, but since my wife and daughter are “foodies” and into more healthy eating, my choices relative to quality are better. Still, the lure to “overgraze” on the weekends is strong, at least when my wife isn’t around (when she is around, I get regular reminders about portion size).

I pretty much have to graze so my blood sugar doesn’t get too low. I can be pretty cranky if I don’t throw at least a little something down my throat once in a while.

2. Kat W says:

Awesome! I was wondering how you were getting on. 🙂

3. AB-SO-LUTE-LY. Where did we come to the conclusion that there was something wrong with being hungry? The reason we store fat is so that we can use it between meals and while we sleep. If you never let your body experience a little hunger, you will never tap into stored fat. The cravings WILL pass. I am not a fan of between-meal or bedtime snacking. Your blood sugar needs a chance to reset between meals. Sometimes, you may feel hunger just becaus your blood sugar is going down (back to normal) even though you still have plenty of circulating glucose. In between meal snacking keeps blood sugars consistently elevated. In addition, eating within 2-3 hours of bedtime causes you to miss out on beneficial restorative functions that take place during sleep. Have 2-3 nutrient dense meals per day that satisfy you and meet your nutritional needs. And stop there. If you are so famished that you just can go another minute, try a boiled egg or a handful of raw nuts. Great article!

• Thanks Kelley. I agree and have come to a point where I actually embrace this feeling of hunger knowing that I am doing something that is causing my body the way it was genetically structured to do.

4. Yes, your body will definitely be burning fat if you have the hunger pain. I’ll eat every 3 hours. I try to eat 6 meals at around 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10! They are all portioned and combine only certain foods together! I’ll have protein/vegetable/healthy nuts combo at lunch and dinner then carbs by itself or healthy nuts by itself. Let me know if you’d to try it out for a couple days! I have a sample for you.

5. Raymond says:

Reblogged this on Encouraging Life and commented:
    Nice findings!

6. Tessa says:

Another thing to work on. I eat whenever and tend to eat more that way. But that means getting up at a certain time as well and haven’t quite figured that out yet. Working on it.

I just thought of something else to curtail overeating. I pretty much eat in front of a computer all the time and I keep my MyFitnessPal.com page open to the Food tab all the time. Whenever I eat something (or contemplate eating something), I enter it into my log and see the calories stack up as compared to my daily goal. Puts things in perspective. The app also breaks foods down by grams of carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and sugar in each food item. This is especially helpful since I’m shooting for a number of grams of protein per day to promote muscle growth.

8. Frank says:

I agree with you 100%. My BGLs are always much better on work days when I have a rigid routine.

9. RachelleGreene says:

I can’t tell you how much this applies to me! When I’m at home, all bets are off. At the office, I rarely snack.

10. Prince says:

Simply great. Eating times have a lot of impact on our health and physical fitness but a handful still don’t know this and majority of those that know don’t practice it.

11. Miyoko Lynn says:

Sounds like a well rounded routine, thanks for sharing!