Watching the News Makes Angry

angry-liberToday marks my first day back to work in almost 9 weeks and I was up early and hitting the treadmill. In doing so I did something that I haven’t done in a long time. I watched early morning news. As I watched one horrific story after the next I felt my blood pressure rising. A woman who was jogging on one of our local trails is attacked and the attacker is ripping off her clothing. Her boyfriend hears her screams and punches the attacker in the nose and soon another passerby helps detain him. Detain him? I am sorry but if someone attacked my wife and tried to rape her I think I would doing a whole hell more than detaining him. In these moments of watching these segments of the news my blood pressure is rising and I feel the adrenaline kicking in. Now I remember why I stopped watching the news. I shut the TV off and finished up my walk. I thought to myself why would anyone choose to start off their day like this by feeding their minds with one negative thing after another.

While working for 22 years in a maximum security prison I can’t remember a single day that went by where the condition of “High Alert” didn’t kick in and I often wonder how much damage this has done to my body. I am retired now and have the choice of living a life in high alert, or finding calm each day. I don’t believe that I will ever watch the news again.

It makes me wonder just how many other people live with these triggers each day. Another area that gets me going is ignorance. Stupid doesn’t bother me because stupid is hard to control, but when someone does something they know they aren’t supposed to do it does get me hot. It could be as simple as making a left turn without using a blinker to let everyone around you know that you are turning. Ignorance!

Not all situations can be avoided but I do try to limit my exposure to them. Do you live with these triggers too, or is it just me? Does watching the news make you angry, or depressed? Let me know…

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex – LEGS
Squats- 310 lbs – 15
Calf Raises- 310 lbs – 15

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Chicken Cacciatori
Dinner- Beef Stew

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Watching the News Makes Angry

1. Raymond says:

Ignorance is needed especially if the news will affect your health. All you can do is ignoring while getting angry will lead you to nowhere. Imagine if there are 1000 cases are you going to get angry towards all of them? It’s easier said than done but that’s the answer. Turn the TV off like you always do.

2. Florida Minimalist says:

I stopped watch the local and world news a long time ago. In fact I don’t watch any television at all. I was tired of all the negativity. I’m not ignoring that these things happen but what good does it do me to hear about it every day? No thanks. Not to mention I’m well aware of the media skewing information to suit their agendas. The media can get the entire nation in an uproar about anything as long as they present it in the right manner. I wish more people would realize this before they start getting upset about things they hear on the news. Don’t be a puppet on the media string! It’s bad for the country’s moral. Call me ignorant, but I’d rather be in the dark than fall for all this. It’s their goal to get your blood boiling.

• I haven’t done it in a long time, I don’t know what inspired me to put it on this morning. You are right, they are self serving and don’t reflect the true overall health of our communities and neighborhoods. I amazes me how people watch this and take it as gospel.

• Florida Minimalist says:

There are just as many good things happening in the world, but you’ll never hear about it on the news.

Congratulations on the work. I agree that watching the news can be very antagonizing, which is why I don’t do it most of the time. Try using your iPod instead and listen to your favorite workout tunes on the treadmill. Better for the blood pressure.

4. suzewannabe says:

I stopped watching the “news” years ago when Oprah mentioned that she doesn’t watch it either.
    negative drivel. no thanks!

5. I’m with you on this one too. Quit watching the news years ago. The laws of quantum physics dictate that like attracts like and that we create our own realities. If we focus on negative outcomes (such as the daily news) we attract negative events into our own lives. There has been scientific research done by Princeton University that supports this theory.

(http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/06/9-11-and-global-consciousness/)

What happens when large numbers of people focus on one catastrophic event? The reverse is also true. It has been said that it takes 1% of the square root of any population to affect the consciousness of that community. So rather than watching the news, we should be attending meditation groups that focus on healing the darkness of the world.

6. anxiousandafraid says:

I’m with you! I even changed my internet home page to the blank google page to avoid the news flashes that show up on other home pages. Friends on Facebook who share things that disturb me, like abused children and animals (even if it is for our edification) are made acquaintances so I don’t get their timeline stuff. At this point in my life, I want to control, as much as possible, what comes into my life. It’s hard enough out there. I also love what Ellen says about putting positive healing energy out there instead of focusing on the negative.

• What we feed our minds stays with us always.

• evans443 says:

This is so true. I try every day to have a positive intake, especially to start my day. I start my day with a spiritual intake and then a positive stimuli through motivational writings,cd’s or thoughts. I have seen the change this makes and the people arournd are starting to notice as well.

7. paradoxkg says:

I also stopped watching – and am happier for it.

8. Watching the news makes me angry, and reading the comments ignorant people make on the news sites makes me furious and overwhelming sad. I avoid the comments sections anymore.

9. jncthedc says:

I would rather read the news than watch the news. I can scan as I read to edit unwanted articles; the TV makes you a slave to their ideas for news. You are forced to sit and experience EVERYTHING no matter how dark, no matter how poorly reported. Good choice to give it up.
    I have transformed a determined Type A personality into a more accepting Type A- personality. This means I place high expectations on myself and no longer expect others to perform in the same manner. This has helped balance stress and expectations. Enjoying the new Type A-
    By the way, I was confused as you mentioned starting your first day back at work in 9 weeks and later mentioned that you were retired?

10. Maryam says:

Hooray your back to work!!! Blessings

11. Tessa says:

I don’t watch the news, Too depressing. Hardly anything I need to know.

12. Madoc says:

I was never big on watching the news, but I used to listen to talk radio quite a bit.

I agree with you. It’s sensational BS meant to rile people up.

• I don’t know why it took all these years to figure out

• Madoc says:

I think a part of it is societal expectation, even if you didn’t consciously realize it. A person’s not considered a responsible adult unless they keep up with current events, watch the news, and possibly read the paper.

I’m apolitical, so I don’t need to know who’s running for what party, because I don’t vote. I don’t need to watch the news here either, because it’s all going to have an American slant. I don’t want to be a responsible adult who dies early from being pissed off all the time.

13. haru2485 says:

I stopped watching news for the same reason. It gets my blood boiling because more often than not, in Indian news channels at least, there’s a tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill, have some 20-odd panelists hurling abuses at each other and talking at the same time, crazy over-the-top news anchors, and at the end of it, you learn nothing new. It’s just way too stressful. We’re better off without 24/7 news. I stopped buying newspapers too. And funnily, I’m a journalist myself.

14. Steve says:

Interesting. I also work in a SHU, am 20 years in, and get demoralized watching the news. I stopped. Im tired of being on alert 24/7 also. Could retire at 20 or 25 years. Want something different. Working 12s, 1800-0600 and am in my 40s. I have no idea how badly my body has been damaged. I ache like the next guy, but dont have the foresight, to determine life after corrections.

• Hang in there Steve, I finally got out at 22 years even after I knew I should of called it quits at 20. The only upside is that I am collecting a pension, but still trying to clean myself from all of the trauma that I both experienced and witnessed. I have vowed to never let myself work in this type of stress ever again.