Fine Tuning and Making Adjustments to my Diet and Workout Routine

fine_tuning_by_ilhaminisvanI brought my treadmill back down from 30 minutes to just 20 minutes yesterday to see what type of difference it would make. I noticed this morning that my glucose reading is lower. Interesting… Now with this 20 minutes it involves and 5 minute cool down period which means that after 20 minutes I am slowly reducing the speed of the treadmill until it is back into starting range. So overall it really is a 25 minute period, but hey, who can’t manage to fit this into their daily routine. By reducing my strength training sets from 3 to 1

I have not noticed too much of a difference in overall muscle strength or size. I have been able to keep up with previous workout of the same muscle group and sometimes surpass the amount of reps I did the last time. I am still feeling the muscle soreness the next day but not as acute as when I was doing 3 sets.

Over the last couple of days I have made a few mistakes with my diet. There were a few times where I was eating things like potato chips, popcorn and even beer, I even ate a few tacos. I haven’t discussed this much because it hasn’t effected my morning glucose reading. Why would I turn to these garbage carbs during the day when I obviously know that they spike my glucose? Well, with the extreme low carbohydrate diet I do experience periods where I have diarrhea. This comes along with gut cramps and gas. When I eat a handful of chips I think that they help control this problem. The correct way of dealing with this issue is of course to eat more salads. By getting that roughage into my body I believe I can solve this problem. This has been an ongoing problem with me and salad. I know that I am supposed to eat it each day and I also know that the main reason for not doing it is simply laziness.

So here is where I am getting confused. When I was just doing hard resistance training I was having difficulties with my blood sugar, despite the fact that I was eating very strictly as far as low carb is concerned. Since introducing a small amount of cardio each day the blood sugar issues have seem to have gone away even though I am eating a few bad carbs. Does the cardio make that much of a difference and would my numbers be even lower if I had not eaten those few chips or bottles of beer? So the next step is to stay on the workout routine, but start filling myself up with salads and vegetables each day rather than those bad carbs to see what happens. Looking at my meal plan for today I notice that I haven’t included the salad, but will make sure I do with dinner tonight.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex- CHEST
Bench Press- 310 lbs – 18
Incline Press- 310 lbs – 15
Decline Press- 310 lbs – 20
Fly’s- 130 lbs – 15
Situps Alternating- 3×12
Leg Lifts- 12

Meals
Breakfast- Cottage Cheese
Lunch- Bacon & Eggs
Dinner- Crab, Butternut Squash, (SALAD)

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegan, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Fine Tuning and Making Adjustments to my Diet and Workout Routine

1. Raymond says:

Interesting. I rarely doing cardio but I could use your theory and experiment into making six pack abs. I also have a doubt that carb is always bad and that you should reduce consuming any like people said. I would prefer to eat half crap half healthy to live healthy without siding with either of them.

• I am trying so hard to eat simply those foods that come from the earth, or nature. I know that salad is a but issue for me but as I start planting the gardens next month and start spending more time with the farmers in the area I know I will once again get excited about the greens. The processed foods are designed and engineered so well as to satisfy our taste buds that it is hard to get away from them, but I know deep down inside that they are hurting me.

• Raymond says:

I love vegetables since I was a kid. For me I like vegetables because they are fresh. I am imagining myself sweating a lot in summer and in need of something that is refreshing. I know water or soda or juice or any drinks are better than eating vegetables but I am aiming for vegetables as they are healthy and helping me to reduce my sins after eating bad.
        If you start planting yourself, you will get two benefits. Besides eating greens for health, I think it could be another like cardio exercise. You can do it.

• I really do look forward to the gardening aspect of it. There is such a simple joy when you grow your won grub.

We seem to be headed in opposite directions. I notice that I experience greater fat loss after “leg day,” which is the most intense weight training day in my routine. I keep my cardio between 25 and 35 minutes a shot. More than that seems to drain me and it takes my heart rate hours to get back to a resting rate of 60 bpm.

I too “blew it” last night after dinner and continued to “graze.” I think the pastrami sandwich was going too far. Weight popped back up 7/10 of a pound over what it was yesterday.

• I noticed that my body weight has increased since I stopped lifting like Arnold, but my glucose levels have stabilized. I believe that as time goes by with the continued cardio that my body weight will start to drop again. I am still carrying a little to much in the mid section, but truth be told that it is all about the diet. I am working on reducing the protein slightly and eating more salads. It takes time to make these adjustments, but I will. Once I make up my mind to do something I am unstoppable. It really is all in the diet James and as we are all different we have to find what works for us. I know you will rock it.

• James says:

I know. I keep tinkering with my diet to see what affects I can generate. I must be doing something right to hit a weight drop below 200. Weekends are harder to control than weekdays, so the pattern is steady weight loss, especially after mid-week, then a slight upturn over the weekend. We’ll see how it goes.

• Used to rant a lot on my blog about my body weight, but am satisfied with my waist size and really don’t care too much about weight. I am down to a comfortable 32 from a tight 36. I believe this is a better indicator of progress than the scale is as you are building muscle.

• James says:

Well, I’ve tightened my belt another notch over the past few days, so that’s encouraging. Belly fat is evil and must be made to die. 😉

I can tell I’m gaining muscle but have no idea how to measure it.

• I rely heavily upon the mirror and do notice changes in my muscle mass when taking a shower. Die Belly Fat Die!

3. Lety C says:

Do you have a scale that measures body fat? Do you know how accurate are they?

• I do and they are pretty close. I am at 18%

• Lety C says:

I have one too, according to it I am at 26%. I feel it is too much for me. I weight 110 lb I excersice daily and I follow a healthy diet. That’s why I’m trying to follos the ketogenic diet. Not that I want to loose weight but I want to loose fat. Almost 2 weeks into it and haven’t seen any results. I’m kind of getting frustrated. I wish I could loose at leat 5 %

• It takes a while and it harder for females as you body tends to hold on to more fat for babies. Have you tried fasting?

• Lety C says:

Not really, I’ll give it a try. While I’m in Mexico we have luch at 2:30 PM, so I’m really really hungry by then. I might have to take a snack before lunch?