Simple Man

hqdefaultI call myself a minimalist because it is the newest way to describe the way I have been all of my life. I have always enjoyed living a Simple Life, but even that should be re-labeled as maybe a Simpler Life. Having too much stuff has always irritated me and I really hate shopping. Occasionally I will fall in love with a dream of some type and purchase things around that dream. I did this when I was camping a lot, or mountain biking. I have to be careful when I fall in love with certain dreams as I will jump the gun only to learn a few months down the road that I really am not as crazy about it as I thought I was. And these items I purchased usually end up sitting in my closets, basement, garage or attic until I go through everything and put it out front for a yard sale. These dreams are usually built around some type of adventure of some sort and I suppose that adventure is my true nature.

So I suppose that if I put it into perspective I really am more of an Experientialist more than a Minimalist. Or maybe the two go hand in hand. But living a life for experiences over living a life for material things is a strong desire for me. It is in actually doing those things where I am surrounded by nature and not trapped in a shell of a life where everything desirable is in a box. For me, to climb that mountain and shout from the top, “I am Free”, means more to me than owning an item of most peoples desire. Every single minute in life is so precious and there is such a beautiful world around us if only we find the time to discover it.

One of the prisons that most people live in, in the materialistic world is one of debt. For me debt is not freedom and it steals our dreams and robs us of those few times where we find our very souls and make those precious connections with the universe. What good is a brand new car if it means that you have to work so hard to pay for it that you are just too tired on the weekends, or too broke to get out and enjoy life.

So I call myself a simple man who has simple desires that he treasures more than gold. It is those experiences of life that are told by old men sitting in a barbershop waiting for their turn. Experience life because it is short. Be a Simple Man.

This entry was posted in minimalist, simple living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Simple Man

1. You never need any “stuff” to live out your dreams!! Simple life all the way!

2. Madoc says:

Sums up how I feel also.

You make a good point concerning hobbies. For me, it’s hobbies that drain people’s finances the most. Whether it’s a car they keep modding, or guns they keep buying, or video games or whatnot, hobbies are really a bane of existence.

• It’s the same with collections. I never really understand why someone would want to collect little spoons, or tea cups or whatever. But to each their own. I like collecting lasting memories.

Pack rat here. If not for my wife, I’d still own everything I’ve ever owned. 😉

• I can’t do it James. It’s like a pirate walking into a bar with a steering wheel shoved down his pants. The bartender says, “Hey there pirate, do you know you have a steering wheel in your pants?” The pirate turns to him and says, “Arrrrr, It’s driving me nuts”

4. julie blue says:

I would love to go whole hog minimalist, aside from my books and notebooks. I have a collection of fenton glass I want to sell, and once it’s gone I want to fill the curio cabinet with books instead. But it’s hard to go all the way with 2 kids under 7 years old (toys everywhere).

• Yea, kids make it tough. I actually got my book collection down to just 5 books. Everything else in on my iphone.

• julie blue says:

I have a dumb phone. 5 books? That sounds…impossible.

• Yea, I got rid of the whole library.

• julie blue says:

So now I’m curious. Which 5 did you keep?

• Celestine Prophecy, Simple Living Guide, Your Money or your Life, Square Foot Gardening and Voluntary Simplicity.

• julie blue says:

Celestine Prophecy sounds interesting, at least from the description on Wikipedia.

• This book changed my life.

• James says:

5 books? How do you live? My wife has restricted me to half of one hallway closet for my books, but I also have some stashed in the bedroom, and of course, we have books in our office. More formal books are located in the bookcase in the living room. That doesn’t count what the kids have in their bedrooms. We’re all avid readers.

That said, I also have a Kindle Fire and I’ve downloaded a number of books onto it. I’m reading two right now and digital books don’t take up much space. But being old school, there’s nothing like holding a real book in my hand.

In addition to all that, I’m a great believer in libraries, and if I absolutely don’t need to own the book, I’ll just check it out if available.

• It took me a long time, but I have learned to live with a kindle library. I find that too many times I would read a good book and put it on my shelves as a trophy, but as years go by and that book still sits there I often wondered if it would be better served in someone else s hands being read. Little by little I donated books until I got down to where I am now. I love being able to access all of my books right on my iphone. It’s awesome.

5. tischcaylor says:

I write articles for Diabetes Health magaziine on how Type 2s go about managing their diabetes. Seems like you have a great approach and attitude. Could I email you some questions? If so, send me an email address to tischcaylor@gmail.com. Thanks!

6. I completely agree, minimalism is always the way to go, hack away at the unessential. Nice post man

7. Love this post! I’ve been revelling in the delights of having less stuff in my bathroom. It kind of started out with less stuff cluttering up the kitchen as we eat cleaner and have less in the way of non perishables. I loved the feeling of tidy uncluttered functional spaces in the kitchen at last and decided to carry on the approach to the bathroom. I used to have several different bottles of shampoo conditioner shower gels bath gels salts oils face masks cleansers scrubs etc etc and I’ve finally managed to hone it all down to one small cabinet. Nothing on display the bathroom looks immaculate at all times is easy to clean so gets a clean more often and as a product is running low as in one use left I get a new one. I’ve also found that now I can afford better quality organic products too and my skin, hair and teeth are benefitting from them. Less is definitely more.