A Salad a Day

Once again I am seeing little bits of progress being made with managing Type II Diabetes with recent changes in my exercise program. I am learning that one of the things in my diet that is throwing me off some times is trying to go too low with carbohydrates. This doesn’t mean that I should be eating pizza each day, but what it does mean is that by not eating enough vegetables each day I have problems with my gut. I have to put it into my head to eat at least one salad per day. For me this is a difficult task as the work involved in creating a fresh salad each day makes me less excited about that salad. I have to get off my high horse and realize that even if I am eating a salad that has been sitting in the fridge for a day or two it is still better than not eating a salad at all. Somewhere I planted this freshly made salad each day in my brain and that type of thinking has to change. Even if I ate two monster salads each day I would still keep my overall carbohydrate intake to less than 60 grams.

mcdonalds-Side-SaladWhat exactly is it about a salad that is so unattractive anyway. They are delicious and colorful. Even when we eat a lot we feel full, but not overwhelmed and few hours later we feel that sense of clean energy and clarity from the nutrition our bodies take in. It must go back to the old restaurant days when a good meal always started with a salad. I remember hearing people say, “No salad for me, I don’t eat rabbit food”, or “They try to fill you up on salad because the meals are so small and they want you to leave the restaurant feeling full”. Or maybe it’s sticker shock. Good salad vegetables are pretty expensive especially when looking in the organic section of the produce area, but can we actually put a price on our health. I know that the medical industry does as they depend on us all not eating right, not exercising and allowing them to earn incredible profits from our mistakes.

OK, so I am ranting a bit about salads, but the truth is that I have to work on getting this salad into my diet each day.

Treadmill- 30 Minutes

Bowflex- LEGS
Squats- 310 lbs- 15
Calf Raise- 310 lbs- 15
Situps Straight- 18
Leg Lifts- 12

Meals
Breakfast- Cottage Cheese
Lunch- Egg, Peppers, Sausage Omelet and a salad
Dinner- Corned Beef, Cabbage, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, nature, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegan, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Salad a Day

Not all carbs are created equal. I find that those that come from grains tend to be worse than from other sources. For instance, for lunch today, I’m having stewed peaches and plums over spaghetti squash. Who needs wheat? 😉

2. anxiousandafraid says:

I think what’s sometimes unattractive about salad is that I’m lazy. If someone came in and brought me a salad every day, I’d certainly eat it. I love salad! But making it? Not so much. I know this flies in the face of everything that you (and I) are doing for ourselves… but it’s the truth for me.

3. educater21 says:

Great content. Really enjoying the menu for today. Cabbage is one of the cruciferous or brassica veggies which are loaded with antioxidants like VitC, A and minerals like manganese. Fiber content good for inflammatory disease and controlling diabetes and cardiovascular function. Not to mention the presence of the anticancer compound sulforaphane!

4. meder3 says:

No matter how fancy I make it, a salad from a restaurant will always beat a home-made one in my book!
    Have you tried a cup a day of bone broth? It has done wonders for my gut, skin, and hair!

• I have been planning the once a day bone broth schedule, but got stuck on the right way to prepare it. I usually just boil down the bones for about 15 minutes then let it simmer for about 3 hours, but recently I have been looking at websites where people are suggesting cooking those bones for 24 hours in a crock pot. I like my 3 hour method better. I know the benefits to gut health are tremendous. Thanks for reminding me.

• meder3 says:

I do the 24hr+ method. It super easy to set it up in the slow sooker and let it go. One tip I learned – add the veggies for the last 4-6 hours. Putting them in the whole time can make a bitter taste 🙂 I keep a stock of it in the freezer – great base for soups, sauces, gravy, and of course a hot cup first thing in the morning!

• I’m going to give it a go. Thanks for the tip in the veggies.

5. I love salads! I have one every day and you know what? I eat it at the same time with the main meal. 🙂

6. Florida Minimalist says:

I need to start eating more salads, thank you for the motivation

7. labeak52 says:

Thank you for paying attention to the poems on my blog. I am a primal eater, too, and I enjoy your posts, as well.