Making the Right Food Choices when Living with Others

refrigerate_7-ways-to-prevent-food-poisoningI made a few mistakes with my diet yesterday, but not too extreme and it was just enough to bring my blood sugar over 100 again. One of the problems I have on the weekends is staying on course when my wife doesn’t eat exactly the way I do. She really does try, but she doesn’t have the same problems with carbohydrates and sugars like I do and I know that sometimes she does desire to eat some food from SAD (Standard American Diet). We ended up going out for pizza for lunch yesterday. Although I know pizza is a diabetic’s number one enemy, I did indulge in it. And yes, it was absolutely delicious.

I know that this is a major problem for not only diabetics, but anyone who has to eat a restrictive diet. How many millions of people are trying to lose weight and live with others who are not? It is difficult because there are always foods in the house that are off limits to you, but we do get those cravings and when we do it is so much easier to reach for the potato chips rather than putting together a nice salad. I have even heard of families who have their pantries and refrigerators set up as to separate foods. This is mine, and this is yours. It doesn’t help because when you open the door the food is not there. And what about creating that desperation? When we create any type of separation do we also create a separation between others in our minds? Then there is always that choice to be made when you go out to eat. You want to be sure that the restaurant has food that you can eat. I know for me just trying to explain to the person serving me that I do not eat carbohydrates is sometimes difficult. I know that even when I can manage to get a steak and salad served there will sometimes be a baked potato on the plate even though I specifically told the person to not include the potato. Ahhh And many times after we do manage to eat a nice healthy meal here comes that desert cart.

Any sane person reading this post would offer the advice, “Well Billy, just do the best that you can, it’s OK to cheat every now and then”. But the problem with Type II Diabetes is that you cannot cheat. Each time I make the mistake of eating a little bit of sugar or complex carbohydrates it drives my blood sugar up. The body does what it does and just because I think otherwise, it is not true. It has been said by many medical professionals that on average a Type II Diabetic lives 10 years less than the average person without Type II Diabetes. I don’t want to end up in that category if there is something I can do about it now. I made the decision that eating like a caveman would help balance this problem with sugar, and for the most part it has proved true. So a caveman didn’t have the option of stopping by the local Pizzeria for a few slices, so neither should I. So the bottom line here is that there is never a reason to not eat correctly. There are always options, even when I don’t like them. It is up to me and I have to stop finding excuses for not eating right because they only exist in my head.

Treadmill- 30 Minutes

Bowflex- ARMS
Curls- 160 lbs- 12
Hammer Curls- 110 lbs- 12
Tricep Pulldown- 150 lbs- 12
Dips- 310- 21
Situps Alt- 3×12
Leg Lifts- 12

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Sausage
Lunch- Steak, Peppers
Dinner- Cornbeef, Cabbage

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Making the Right Food Choices when Living with Others

1. shantiepc says:

Reblogged this on The EndPoint Business Blog and commented:
    I think we all face this issue of temptation and social eating, no matter how good our intentions are. It’s terribly hard not to give in to cravings when the said item is just in front of you. I guess the only advice is not to be discouraged no matter how many times you fall off the bandwagon, just like it is for any addiction. We’re only human and it’s hard to fight against biology constantly. What we can do is more of what makes us feel healthier and works for us.

2. eatfromeden says:

Sigh… I get it, it is tough. The trick for me is to not have processed food in my house. If someone wants it, they can have it they just need to go get it themselves. I have to keep reminding myself about how bad I feel after I indulge and I realize that nothing tastes good enough to surpass that feeling I have after.

• Practicing mindfulness. It isn’t easy when the brain is trying to convince you of how it wouldn’t be so bad to just eat this thing one time. It’s like the old cartoon picture of the person with the little devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other.

3. picturefool says:

It is so hard! I didn’t know that pizza is so bad for diabetics. Is it the combination of the crust and the sugar in the sauce? I don’t have diabetes but since I’m trying to lose weight, a diabetic diet is not a bad idea for me. Yesterday we ended up at food court that had nothing healthy at all. In retrospect I should have just gotten a frozen yogurt rather than the super greasy turkey burger I ate. It’s hard making those choices spontaneously.

Good for you for all of your hard work and your self-awareness.

• Thank You. Yea, Pizza is the devil to a diabetic, and it was disclosed this year as the most addictive food in America. They actually don’t know why it drives the blood sugar up so high, but it does.

4. Raymond says:

I know how it feels as my family eats whatever they have in the house. I am the health pioneer and they always make fun of me by saying “are you a doctor?”. It doesn’t have to be a doctor to get healthy. It’s your own valuable principle over life concept. It’s even harder to spread the message to your surroundings about the importance of being healthy rather than you get on your own diet but I control what I want to eat. If I don’t want to eat then I won’t. I know it’s hard for you because of the situation but it’s not impossible.

5. Sandy says:

Ugh, it sucks .. I’m learning. We are a carb nation .. Food is so damn good!! Food is also a gun pointing at our heads. It’s up to us when we pull the trigger.
    There should be some diabetic support group – you can call and say dude, I’m craving pizza bad – and you’ll get talk back to logic.
    My hardest part right now is no food, not even making the choice of right or wrong, it’s no food on a plate, despite still cooking for these 2 here daily. If I can do it, you can do it!!

Pizza juiced isn’t appealing thankfully!!

6. Lety C says:

I completly understand, been there…

7. I feel your pain! Although I don’t follow Paleo, I live at home with my parents and constantly encounter this problem. My mum is diabetic and so usually eats fairly healthy foods but my dad is a huge fan of any junk food so there is almost always chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc. in the house. I feel like it is a constant test of willpower to not go to the cupboard and indulge whereas if they weren’t in the house at all, I wouldn’t even think about junk food most of the time.

8. Kat W says:

Hmmmm……that must be really hard to manage (the desire v logic part). And it does give those of us without diabetes a real dose of reality. Changing MY eating habits is hard, but it could be harder.

I remember once being in a restaurant asking for a salad with no dressing. I got a bowl of lettuce (the dark green, bitter variety).

I am slowly rediscovering that – quite often – my vision of having something really doesn’t add up to the reality. I indulged in a cup of coffee recently, and, although it WAS from McDonalds, I couldn’t drink it because it tasted how I imagine pig swill tastes. Blerk!!

And so far, in the 19 days I’ve been cleansing, I’ve driven mum through McDonalds 3 times, bought her 2 sponge cakes with fresh cream and jam, and cooked a dinner for her on 2 of my complete cleanse days….. Sigh….

• Yea Kat, it certainly is not easy. Lately I only drink the coffee that I make at home. I have a travel mug for when I go out and venture. Sometimes I would love to punch Ronald McDonald right in his red nose. LOL

9. If you are going to indulge with s slice of pizza, would thin crust be not as bad?

10. Sharron says:

I have the same problem with my husband. He likes to eat healthy, but then so often wants to indulge in a’ little’ something…two scoops of sorbet. We are not diabetics, however his father was and I am always concerned he might become one. Ah, the evils of “just one time”. In addition, we are very social and there is always a pot luck or party going on. Temptation all around us! Get thee back from our table!

11. cthomas4579 says:

Reblogged this on The Weight Is Over! and commented:
    Good read!

12. julie blue says:

My problem is when other people do the cooking and add extras to things that don’t need them, like BBQ sauce to cheeseburgers…and don’t tell me until I’m scratching my head later wondering why my sugar went so high.

13. My diet is different than yours. However, within my diet I allow myself some small indulgences twice weekly, and a moderate break-out once a month. The small indulgences are not that horrendous but allow me twice weekly to share some foods with my family. The moderate break-outs allow me to dine out without guilt with friends. I do plan these indulgences and break-outs in advance. I control the time and the portions and I only have one portion. For example my main aim at the moment is weight control and I have very little fat in my diet. However, twice weekly I have a stir fry with my family. Once a month I allow myself a break-out with friends, of maybe a small piece of cake or cream or whatever. These small break-outs do not take me off course as I control the time and the amount, so I do not feel that I have lost control. I still feel good about myself. It is when the break-outs occur that are not planned, that the bad feelings come creeping back in.
    Some things, to me, would be strictly off-limits though. For example, pizza. This has about four portions of carbohydrate and loads of fat and salt into the bargain. Same as crisps. My break-outs are strictly potion-controlled. So my suggestion would be is to choose to dine out with your wife and choose to have something off your diet. But make it a moderate indulgence, not completely off the radar. For example allow yourself one small serve of potato OR fruit with cream for dessert (but not both). You will savour the indulgence and not feel out of control.

14. DontDiewithYourMusicInside says:

So totally true
    Havn same issue

15. Nathalie says:

I completely understand the frustrations and the cravings. You are doing so well with the efforts: even with the few set backs here and there you write about in your blog, it is obvious you are working very hard at making the proper choices all the time. I notice you post your meals every time you write a blog post and I suspect you want to keep them at a minimum detail. However, when I read what your daily diet consists off, I can understand why you would be easily tempted by the foods from the dark side hahaha!
    So if I may be bold enough to offer advice to someone who doesn’t know me at all, here is what I would recommend: invest some of your current spare time in cooking more diversified meals, watch food related films and documentaries (if you have not yet done so) such as Food Matters and Hungry for Change and most important of all, celebrate you and every little step you are taking every day to succeed. It is soooo easy to just look at the part of our days where we have not been so stellar. But if we patted ourselves on the back for every small victory, chances are we would add more and more everyday. Make a big batch of soup loaded with vegetables and proteins: it will satisfy your hunger whenever it hits. Write a list of all your favorite foods and categorize them as super, average and treat (according to their nutritional value). Make sure you can access the super foods you love on a regular basis. Anyhow, these are just a few suggestions. Seems many others like me are cheering you on!

• Wow, really good suggestions. I have watched both movies numerous times and love them. I love the soup idea and am going to take it seriously. I love soup and have actually thought about opening my own soup food cart here in Portland, Oregon. And I do celebrate each morning when my blood sugar is low and I know that I did a good job the day before. I jump up and do the Happy Dance! Thank you so much for your advice.

16. KimboSpicy says:

aka impossible. lol. no temptation if it’s not in the house! Unless you pass a grocery store (or even better, fast food) on the way home from the gym…. lol

17. Perhaps this is worse for men than women as we ladies do tend to rule the roost when it comes to shopping and arranging menus…not always our fault as many men never have an opinion when asked and lots of women I’m sure empathise with it always coming down to their choice of what to eat. But…generalisms aside…when I started out a year ago I encouraged my household to eat healthy too and now I just force them to…well I don’t really give them much choice. In the house it’s clean eating all the way outside of it they make their own choices. When we eat out together I will pre-check menus for my own needs but also ensure that there are delish hellish things for my dining companions and at first it would kill me and I’d satisfy cravings and yearnings by dipping in and having a bite but now I’m so much better at it all. I find stickimg to the right path easier and they all help by having become more conscious themselves and choosing healthier over time. I do think from past experience that it can be very isolating if you are the only one in the household and you can even become resentful of the slim or fit or healthy person and it can cause some relationship issues. Having a joint purpose is good for a family so anything which takes one off on a tangent can be damaging but we just have to remember that one of the reasons we’re going off on a tangent is because we want to be a part of that family for longer. In the past I be come home and found cake wrappers or ice cream wrappers in the bin and bawled my eyes out like a spoiled two year old and believed everyone in my household hates me.

• For the most part Sharon is right on board with the food changes and actually loves it. Every now and then she likes to eat things that I just can’t eat and that’s ok.

• You do kind of learn to turn a blind eye, I have reached a point where I can cook food now that I used to love but no longer eat. We just have to remind ourselves, like I say that we’re doing this to stay with our families for longer and focus on the health not the taste. It’s great to have support of the people in your household, they should want us to do this for everyone’s sake, I do know people who are totally unsupported by their family and I was one of those many, many times. I’d have my mum and siblings wafting food in my face as I sat with a salad and they had chips and fish and puddings with custard and even once I’d left home I had boyfriends and a husband and a sister who would buy me chocolate and pretend they’d forgotten I was dieting.. it was awful. My will power wasn’t that strong that I could cope. I ended a relationship with a guy because he would mock me eating just fruit for breakfast while he sat with piles of buttered toast and pancakes. Support is so important and can make or break our chances so good for us that we have it. Even positive support can be negative if it isn’t served in the right way, it has always niggled me to the point of breaking when people have said to me “Are you allowed that?” “what are you doing with that, you’re on a diet” “Look at all that I thought you were on a diet” and it grates after a while. You’re doing great and keeping health as you motivator and that’s the only way to succeed in my opinion.