T2D Workout Progress and Bone Health as we Age

strongbonesAnother day into this new routine and it appears all is well. As Dr. Steve Parker of the Advanced Mediteranian Diet  pointed out to me that he is curious to see if I am able to maintain muscle mass with doing just one set of strength exercises vs the three I was doing. This I don’t know, but I will be monitoring and if I feel that my strength is declining I may again make adjustments. But for right now I am happy right where I am at, but he does have a point. As we get older strength training is not only makes are muscles stronger, it also increases the strength of our bones. In fact, along with eating a healthy diet strength training for the elderly is the key element to maintaining bone strength and avoiding all of the problems that come with having brittle bones our senior years. Although I don’t consider myself a senior quite yet I know that when I do arrive one day I want to land there with strong bones.

Even though I am only doing 1 set, it is a very strong set as I am taking to exhaustion each time. I am still feeling the same soreness the next day although it is a bit less than it was when I was doing three sets. Being that I am only doing the one set I feel like I have to put much greater effort into that set, and being that it is taking less time to do a complete routing I feel like I can really take my time and concentrate on that one set. I feel as though I am making progress as my numbers are lower, but this could also be attributed to the 20 minutes on the treadmill each day.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes
Bowflex- CHEST
Bench Press- 310 lbs – 18
Incline Press- 310 lbs – 15
Decline Press- 310 lbs – 20
Fly’s- 120 lbs – 25

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Salad
Dinner- Pea Soup with Ham

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to T2D Workout Progress and Bone Health as we Age

If you end up doing only one set of each exercise and go heavy, you may just end up being more like a “strongman” power lifter than a more traditional body builder.

2. Lety C says:

Does working with your body weight cout as strenght exercise? I mean push ups, planks dips

3. Raymond says:

Interesting, I think it’s better for me to get our of my comfort zone and increase lifting weight as it’s one of the way to maximise not only your strength but also your bones strength. I do consume skimmed milk, tomatoes, etc as vitamins for bones.

4. Folks like Dr. Doug McGuff would say that you should be able to maintain strength with the quicker, more intense workout program. His book, which I haven’t read, is “Body By Science.” He’s a blogger, too.

I work my muscles to near-exhaustion over the course of 90 seconds, then I’m done with that muscle group for a couple days. Move on to another muscle group for 90 seconds, etc. I’m done in 20 minutes.

Compared to other workout styles, what this dose to stress hormones like cortisol that might raise blood sugar, I have no idea!
    -Steve

• Thanks Steve, I have heard of “Body by Science but haven’t looked in Dr. McGuff yet. Your book is on my list, but I have so many books right now it may take a while to get to. I know that strength training is necessary to keep blood sugar in check, but there is such a fine balance between enough and too much that it can make your head spin. All I can do is keep on moving forward and keeping my carb intake low, yet balanced also. Have you read the book “Keto Clarity” by Jimmy Moore? It is actually more of an interview with 20 top medical professionals talking about the benefits of using keytones in place of carbohydrates. There is so much new information out there and I am trying to take it all in and pull away with what I believe will help me get into a good balance. Anyway, thanks for your comment, and thanks for keeping an eye on me.

5. eatfromeden says:

I really like doing power yoga along with my daily walks. It is a way for me to maintain my muscle, and bone health along with flexibility (which I need) without creating the stress hormone cortisol.

6. educater21 says:

Interesting from the vantage point of personal philosophy and scientific evidence. Looking forward to hearing about the results!

7. Guru Singh says:

Being a cyclist I am fully aware of the incidence of osteopenia in cyclists so I have taken up muscle building exercises to counter that and also to increase my core strength.