Mr. Potato Head

312482-toy-story-mr-potato-headAll day yesterday I was doing great with my diet until dinner came around. My wife made a baked potato for herself but usually only eats half. Dumb ass over here decides to go and eat the other half. Seems pretty harmless, right? Wrong. Blood sugar spiked to 151 overnight. I haven’t seen my numbers this high since I started this mission close to a year ago. WTF?

OK, so I set up a new workout routine where I am to rest every other day. This is fine, but on those rest days I have to make sure that I am eating correctly. Some eggs, a little bit of meat, and lots of vegetables, and that is it. Nothing else like a stupid potato. Ahhh.

So how exactly am going to get back to where I was? What will it take to make myself realize that I am flirting with disaster each time I do something stupid? It will have to done the same way I have been doing it for the last year. Good, old fashioned determination. For whatever reason I have lost my drive to succeed, and I have to get it back. I must think about everything that goes into my mouth and the effect it will have on my insulin sensitivity. On my off days I will either take a walk or get on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes. When I get those cravings during the day I will learn to embrace them and know that by waiting for my next healthy meal my body will learn to adjust to the schedule. Having a morning glucose figure of 151 is ridiculous and totally avoidable. This will not happen again. Now get to work Mr. Potato Head!

Bowflex- SHOULDERS
Shoulder Press- 240- 12, 12, 12
Front Raises- 60- 12, 10, 8
Side Raises- 60- 12, 10, 8
Shrugs- 310- 15, 14, 12
Situps Straight- 12, 10, 8
Leg Lifts- 15, 14, 12

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Steak, Salad
Dinner-

This entry was posted in body building, food, health, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Mr. Potato Head

1. I had this problem all last year until I started strictly sticking to 100 carbs a day

Derek Gardiner

2. Lety C says:

Why don’t you try healthy fats, like avocado or nuts? This might help your energy carvings.

3. jo says:

Hi,
    It’s a real full time job isn’t it, staying motivated and in control? I did so good yesterday, all that “I’m not letting a cookie control me” attitude, but it didn’t keep me from eating that last hunk of pineapple upside down cake. My body’s reactions to poor choices are painful, but not usually life threatening, like yours.
    I was about to share a tip with you that really helped me when I quit smoking, and while thinking it through, I realized that if I followed my own advice, I might get better at this motivation and control issue.
    Ok, I’ll write a post about it, but this is it in a nutshell.
    Don’t flirt.
    When I stopped smoking, I had to quit flirting with it. Don’t hold it in your hand, don’t smell it, don’t look at it, don’t hold it in your mouth unlit, and never ever stop at the store and buy a pack for someone else.
    I’m going to try applying the Don’t Flirt advice to the foods I must not eat. Who knows, it helped me quit cigarettes!
    Good Luck to you, thanks for taking us on your journey! Get those numbers back where they are supposed to be!!!
    Jorc

• Thanks Jorc, great advise. Flirting can get us in all kinds of messes. That was my method of quitting smoking also.

• jo says:

Was it really? I’m so glad to hear that. Congrats on your quit! I know I’ve probably said that before, but every day is a new quit! Some old ladies and I were talking last week, and I told them, If you ever see me with a cigarette again, the doctors have given me 3 months to live, and I’m gonna smoke! LOL

• LOL. I’m with you there. I don’t miss it at all, but then again I don’t allow myself to even think about it.

4. godumusings says:

Don’t be so hard on yourself. All you did is eat a half of potato. Even in people without DM occasionally sugars will be high. Looks like you already have it under control. Cheers!

5. jo says:

Hi Guy, I was reading a magazine this morning and thought you might enjoy this article.

• Interesting. It really is a battle.

• brainsnfeet says:

Just going to throw something out there to ponder. The language we use and the stories we tell ourselves are so important. There’s also that philosophy that says what you put out into the world is what you receive back. My point? Framing this as a battle may be part of the problem. Isn’t it more about taking good care of yourself and feeling good?

• On a daily basis it is a battle of the mind. Making the right choices can be such a struggle at times and approaching the struggles with Type II Diabetes where there really is little room for error is a battle for me. It may sound extreme, but in my mind it is a life or death situation.

6. Guru Singh says:

Hope you are back on track! I had an easter egg yesterday – but only a small one!

7. Jim Brennan says:

I happen to love Mr. Potato Head. I call my son’s dog Mr. Potato Head. But, I it blows my mind that a half potato threw your blood sugar off so much. Wow! You’re fighting the good fight, my friend.

• Yea, I am thinking now that it’s more about timing. A boiled potato is better for insulin response than a baked potato and If I eat the potato right before or right after a strong workout I shouldn’t have problems.

8. jwuollife says:

Wow, I didn’t realise a baked potato could have that effect. I try to reduce my sugar intake each day, but; unfortunately, manufacturers put it in everything.
    Thank you for stopping by. Stay safe πŸ˜‰

9. ianbcross says:

May I make a suggestion? It is very laudable that you are working so hard at keeping your blood sugar so low. We know that this is the best way to avoid complications of diabetes. But studies on people using insulin who achieve really tight control don’t show much better outcomes than those with OK control. My advice would be to allow yourself to stray from your diet occasionally. Enjoy it, don’t beat yourself up about it.

My father was 91 in April. About five years ago, his doctor told him he was diabetic. He refused to accept this, cut out all sugar, reduced his complex carbohydrates, did more exercise and lost 12 pounds. His glycosylated haemoglobin fell to normal as a result. But when we get together, we allows himself a binge (in moderation).

Forgive the intrusion. You follow my blog and I occasionally look at yours. Hence this comment.

Best wishes

10. 8m33 says:

I need to lose weight too & don’t want to get diabetic. Good luck on your eating system. it is tough to say ‘no’!!!

11. Good response.. No easy way, just determination. I have heard the rule of distraction entails, avoidance of the food for a minute, then you are in a better position to say no! Again, it’s just over coming that temptation, or simple switch in your mind that goes, ‘ahh, oh well’. If you find out how to master it, please share with us!!

12. bf62183703 says:

Just a note to thank you for reading my blog postings. “Heavy” reading but I’m mad about what happened and is still happening. So I decided to blog. Breaking the concepts done a little bit helps us all to understand a little more. If I help to clean the economics window of life, that’s great. Glad you can keep your blood sugar so low. I struggle but am a sugar-holic. It’s a &%&&$$$!! for sure.

13. theBarefoot says:

Someone once told me, “Don’t eat anything white except fish.”

14. mrperkins says:

Don’t beat yourself up. Now you know, and you must keep in mind you are fighting millions of years of evolution and natural cravings. Funny you should write about this. I made a short list of things to avoid and the list included potatoes, desserts (as commonly defined), and pasta – in no particular order.

15. Jeanette says:

Hi. Don’t sweat it. I’m sure you know about the food exchanges. Don’t deprive yourself of the things you like n enjoy. Use them in moderation. 151 blood sugar is nothing to write home about, I wish all my patients did that well. Diabetes is a rough disease. Losing weight also will decrease the amount of insulin or oral hypoglycemics you need so be careful. An occasional higher blood sugar is not dangerous.low blood sugar on the other hand can and will kill you. So with that being said, Good luck with your diet and weight loss! God bless you. And thankyou for the like on my georgiogiovanni.wordpress.com site. Just started a little over a month ago so appreciate the like. Thanks! πŸ™‚

16. Gail Kaufman says:

I keep veering off course as well. I find I have the longest run of success when I condition my mind not that I don’t want it but that I simply don’t eat that anymore. With that mindset, you don’t give yourself the option to make the wrong choice because your mind doesn’t register any option outside your predetermined menu items. It doesn’t help that my husband wants to keep desserts in the house. It’s always harder when the people we live with are not on the same diet.

17. Kim Smyth says:

Lots of great advice pouring in, you’ve got a great support system! While I can’t speak to the diabetes issue, I can say that for me, following the paleo way of eating has worked for me the best out of all the fad diets I’ve tried. Luckily I happen to love sweet potatoes and never have missed white potato at all, the same with smoking, I get as much satisfaction vaping as I did smoking and once I picked that up, I never had another cigarette. I also eliminated pasta completely and use zucchini or spaghetti squash when I want to eat something with tomato and meat sauce. Have you replaced your white rice with brown rice? Prepared in the oven? It’s fantastic! I use Alton Brown’s recipe and it comes out perfect every time! Anyway, my point is you have lots of choices and making substitutions for foods that hurt you is so easy. One more, I use stevia or raw local honey in place of sugar and I read labels diligently. Yes, I “cheat” occasionally, but for me, it isn’t a life or death situation, just a chance of developing the dreaded yeast infection, so I really monitor my sugar intake. No bread, (that one was hard) and no corn. The hardest thing for me is to ignore the chips and salsa when we go eat Mexican food-so lately, I have been doing it. My problem is making myself move. If I start walking again, I feel I can allow myself the occasional “cheat” like that. Maybe we can motivate each other by sharing exercise goals and food tips, either way, keep on trucking, you’ll get it all figured out! Thanks for reading my blog and commenting too btw, it means a lot!

18. Great reminder of the way we sabotage ourselves! Yet you did what you needed to by developing a plan. That’s what it takes. Goals are great but without that plan it isn’t going to happen! Best wishes for continued success on the journey to good health!

19. sarahlearichards says: