A Day of Quiet Contemplation

Screen-Shot-2013-03-30-at-7.42.50-PM-300x196I am not happy with my blood sugar today, nor have I been happy with it for the past week or so. It is time to reflect on my daily routine and figure out what it is that is going wrong. My body weight has gone up an average of about 5 lbs and at first I figured that it was just muscle weight because I have been lifting to heavy, but this would not be the cause for my belt feeling tighter. So what is it?

Over the past several weeks I have found reason to drink beer. This is a problem and I have to give it up altogether. I have also found reason to munch on things like pretzels and crackers after lunch and after dinner. This also has to stop. Why am I craving these things? I believe that it is the intense exercise that creates the demand for carbohydrates, which is OK because it pulls the sugar from the blood stream. I have to get past these craving and allow the muscles to start pulling the energy from stored fat in the liver and the body. I have to get back into ketosis.

So I figure that I have two choices here. I could slow down on the exercise or make the decision that I will not give into the cravings when they come. Anyone out there that is trying to lose weight understands these cravings and they certainly are real. Drinking a few bottles of beer before dinner seems to calm the beast inside, but is reaping havoc on my health as do those simple little snacks.

Today I declare a day of rest and quiet meditation. I need time to pull away from the world around me and find ground zero in my mind and soul. A day of quiet contemplation as it is. I need to reach out to my maker and ask for the energy to get back on the path that I started on as I obviously have headed in a wrong direction. And I need the strength and will to endure fighting those cravings once again. It won’t be easy, but nothing that is really worth it ever is.

NO WORKOUT TODAY

Meals
Breakfast- FASTING
Lunch- 1 Egg, 1 Bacon
Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in fitness, food, health, meditation, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Day of Quiet Contemplation

1. princessdoodlebug says:

What’s is ‘normal’ for blood sugar? Are you a lot above/below it or a little? I don’t know how blood sugar things work at all but I’m interested!

Judging from the Meals menus you always post on your blog, you eat like a bird. At the end of the day, my food log on MyFitnessPal has modest entries for Breakfast (I’m having my cheese, avocado, and veggie omelet right now…yummy), Lunch, and Dinner, but I tend to “graze” throughout the day (usually fruits and veggies but occasionally “bad stuff”), so my Snacks list gets to be quite long. Sounds like you need to list everything that goes in your mouth, if for no other reason, than to see it in text which, take my word for it, can be quite an eye-opener.

3. merlinjr01 says:

Hey, it sounds like you sort of fell of the bike. But the good news is, you know how to ride, and you can and will get up and go again–in the direction you want to. Also, my morning BS is most reflective of what I ate for dinner (evening meal) and later. My weight reflects the whole day!

4. Sorry to read you are not happy with your blood sugars today …..(I am over 50 too !!) Firstly Type 2 diabetes before meals should be 72-126 mg/dl ..In Uk 4 – 7 mmo/L ..I have been diabetic for 23yrs unfortunately Type 1 & Brittle but the past year I have managed to cut down my Insulin requirement by half and lost 28 pounds (Insulin made me put weight on as my body just stored it !!…Insulin Resistance)..as my blog progress’s to modern day..you will get to hear all about it, however I just wanted to tell you I drink Aloe Vera to stabilise my sugars and I recently completed a 9day cleanse !! I also use My Fitness Pal and highly recommend a FITBIT bracelet…. I sell Aloe products on line worldwide http://www.alternativediabetic.flp.com .. First 2 days of 9 Day Cleanse is not recommended for type 1 diabetics as the drop in sugars could cause Hypo’s however for me ,I use an Omnipod pump and know how to control myself but I would advise that everyone diabetic speaks to their medical team first before trying it. Just Drinking the juice would help with your sugar cravings..and if not happy the company has a worldwide 60 day money back guarantee ..You need to eat enough calories to cover your BMR..so your body can function and you can begin to burn the fat stores ..

5. Doug says:

I’m not the expert when it comes to diet, however, I’m just curious if you have read Wheat Belly. Even though we as a family cut out wheat dairy and sugar about 10 years ago because of visiting a naturopath, and not strictly complying, I found confirmation of the importance of cutting out wheat totally after reading the book. I wasn’t really over weight, however, after renewing my commitment to cut out wheat, I lost about 5 pounds, my belly got smaller, and an ugly rash on my legs disappeared after bothering me for years. I also believe cravings have diminished somewhat as well. Ancient grains may not have been such a problem for our ancestors, however, I believe because of the GMO problem and all the chemicals used in farming these days, wheat is real no-no. Thanx for spending the time on your blog, I enjoy.
    Doug

• James says:

On the heels of what you just wrote Doug, my wife had me read “24.Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, Sugar — Your Brain’s Silent Killers” by David Perlmutter as well as a number of related books relative to grains and the surprising harm (according to various researchers) they can do to the human body, including the brain. I can’t say every single claim made by many of these health pundits is true, but I have noticed that my health has taken an upswing since I’ve reduced the amount of grain related carbs that enter my body.

• Wheat Belly is on my list of books. Thanks for the excellent reply.

6. Neale Bacon says:

It is good to take a reflection day every now and then to take stock of where we have been and where we are heading

7. Lety C says:

Hi, please be kind to you self. Sounds like you are in a desperate mode, and that won’t get you any where. It is good that you took a day to reflect. You”ve been doing a very good job for some time, from what I understand, so you already know what to do. I think you just have to focus, be honest with yourself and be kind to yourself too. Maybe your carvings come from somewhere else, what if you switch them for some helathy fats, nuts perhaps. Relax and the road will be easier.

8. It is difficult when whole food groups are cut out of one’s diet as then you tend to see the whole group as ‘bad’ foods. Carbohydrates can be graded into three levels of those encased in fibre (fruit, vegetables, legumes, wholegrain cereals), refined starches, and sugars. Maybe when you have cravings you could allow yourself to have small amounts of the high grade carbohydrates by having a piece of fruit or some baked beans, for example, or even some high-fat snack foods such as nuts, rather than reaching out for the high glycaemic foods that will shoot your blood sugar readings up.

9. Tessa says:

I have a question. What carb is the first one I should cut. out?