03-05-15 – Thursday – Looking for Work Over 50

middle-agedIn just a few days I will be 54 years old and although I feel like I am not a day over 35, I am starting to realize that the rest of the world does not view me this way. As we get older there are so many things we can do to be the healthiest we can be, but the signs of age are always with us. The gray hair, lines on the face, skin becoming looser under the jaw, eyelids starting to droop. Yes, our physical features gradually start changing and although we are smarter, wiser and experienced enough to believe that we can take on the world, there are still opportunities that exist only for the young.

I suppose that the business world looks at us as a medical liability as we may get sick and need time off. Or maybe they believe that we are slower or stuck in our ways as to be un-trainable. I know that the several times that I did apply for certain jobs and was interviewed I did feel that my age had a lot to do with the decision to not hire me. In a way I can understand this decision when I put myself into the seat of the interviewer. “If he is 54 years old that means that he would only be with us for 11 years before he retires.Age-Discrimination We will be spending a lot to train him and wouldn’t that money be best served on someone who is in their twenties, or even thirties”. Could this be called age discrimination or just wise hiring practices?

So what does all of this mean? I know that there is a large population of fifty somethings out there who feel the same pressure. So, what job markets are available to the over fifty crowd? I am fortunate enough to have semi retired from a law enforcement position and have enough income coming in each month to maintain a frugal lifestyle. And with the experience that I gained I am able to work comfortably in the field of Security, which is a rapidly growing industry. But what about others? What about people who haven’t taken care of themselves and are already in a bad position medically? I would love to here from others who may be in the same position to learn what actions they are taking to fit into the job market.

Today I decided to stop taking creatine for two weeks until I get back from vacation. I made this decision based on the fact that I will not be on a regular workout schedule and trying to maintain this routine could become difficult. I am also interested in seeing if there is any difference in numbers while not taking it, so I will probably go a full 30 days without it. I feel the need for taking a day off of lifting weight today as I feel my body is tired and needs to heal once again.

Blood Sugar – 95, Weight – 167.2

Creatine – STOPPED

NO WORKOUT TODAY

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Sausage
Lunch- Sausage, Sauerkraut
Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in blogging, body building, finances, fitness, food, growing up, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to 03-05-15 – Thursday – Looking for Work Over 50

1. merlinjr01 says:

I am not sure I accept being too old for many things. As for jobs, I have spent my life looking for the next better job–not until 2001 (age 57) did I begin working for a company from which I would eventually retire (with a pension). I am sure my professional life would have been more profitable had I worked for the same company for 30 years, but that did not happen. It is true that there are some jobs for which I could not apply–cannot go back to flying for an airline, for example (though I feel like I could). A little late to go to medical school–possible but not going to happen, so I have to be realistic. What I do know is that most of us over 50 have lots of experience and knowledge that will add value to some enterprise.

I feel very fortunate to have a stable job at age 60. As a technical writer, I spent a good portion of my career doing contract and temp work. My current position fell into my lap about seven years ago and hopefully I’ll continue here until I’m able to retire, which may not be at age 65. The economy isn’t particularly friendly for those of us who’d like to stop working so hard someday but maintain our standard of living.

3. Sandy says:

Investing in time and money when hiring a person aged 20 or 30 is also risky business. The likleyhood they will be a lifer is slim. Most, instinctively, are always reaching for the next opportunity, which often is outside Of the current employer.
    A person in their 50’s is secure, mature and responsible. As a business owner, I have the assumption that a 50 year is more likely to stay with me for 10 plus years than a 20 year old. (Providing they are in their chosen career/position).

• Good point. Here in Oregon the average age is 35 years old. I am not in a bad position, but I would love a more challenging career. It is a younger group and even though I am only 54, I feel as though I am not really wanted here. I have made the decision to move to Florida the end of this year. Oregon is great, but lacks the Vitamin D. 🙂

4. leticialullabies says:

I think different fields consider different factors. Some companies need the knowledge and experience that only somebody older can offer.

• I think your right. I am thinking about changing directions and getting my fitness coach certificate and try to help out the Over 50 generation with Type II Diabetes. I think there may be opportunity. And it would be something I love to do. The only thing that has kept me so far is the need for health care insurance.

• leticialullabies says:

I hear you, insurance is a big deal. Which also brings to mind that we insurance after retirement and I don’t think we’ll be happy with only Medicare because they keep everyone waiting for approval of services.

5. Jessica says:

Very interesting to read your experience.. My mother in law will be 51ish when she graduates with a bachelors in Dental Hygiene.. I really questioned her reasoning for this, because of the reasons you stated, being older.. etc. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. There are a lot of beautiful, young, and smart girls going into that field.. she is also.. but aging is unavoidable.

6. As an employer, I have always found older employees reliable with a good work ethic. I would never discriminate on age.

7. I’ve been fortunate enough to be employed for the last 20+ years, but realized even if I continue working another 20 years, it will not provide me with a decent pension to enjoy a good standard of living that we are enjoying now. So I’ve decided to take the future into my hands where I am meeting people of all ages, from all walks of life working on their goals and dreams not their employers! If anyone reading this would like details to explore the opportunity get in touch and best of luck.

8. It’s interesting too as retirement age is pushed further and further … And life experience – wisdom – reflexivity – inspiration- creativity-reliability- self- knowledge all just improve with age and if we take care of ourselves physically then fifty is the new forty and we are really only just about halfway !!! There are employers out there who benefit from employing experienced candidates but often they are short sightedly looking for the cheaper disposable client – our generation is having to change perceptions and the personal can be political – we begin with ourselves and your blog is shouting that !!!

9. MacCupcake says:

You know, my experience has been just the opposite! I am fast approaching my 55th birthday and daily I have to turn down interviews. I am taking a well deserved break and reviewing my options. Actually, I am scheduled to discuss my European options with a headhunter based in London on Monday.

Most of the people that I have worked with in the past decade or so are what I call “ageless”… even though there can be two decades (and more) differences in ages between the youngest and oldest employees, we all seem to be about the same age when it comes to the work. Its great. Even as a woman, I don’t even seem to encounter sexism, let alone ageism. Maybe I am just in one of the best fields?